Wednesday 19 November 2008

Grass test


Ok, this has been way more stress than it's worth. I followed that tutorial and fitting grass into the scene is basically not going to happen. The plane is far too big, and fitting grass with a suitable density into it causes all sorts of problems. I.e. I would have to smooth off the whole plane creating unecissary polygons, I would have to have it on an entirely seperate render layer, and even then it would still cause the computer/render farm to crash. A small patch such as the above is do-able, though it can't really be rendered with mental ray, and placing patches all over it is quite a lot of unnecissary work.

So I've gone for the simple solution of ditching the whole fur/grass thing. The realistic grass it creates doesn't really fit the style anyway. Instead, Dan suggested I go to work in finer detail with the soft modification. I agree.

No comments: