Monday 1 December 2008

Door developement
















































Ok so having decided we would probably do the blendshapes when and where we need them, I've had time to continue work on the front door. Basically it was too plain for an object that's going to be seen close up. I had an experiment with the planks on a one in / one out pattern, but it looks bad, so instead I drew all the planks out and defined the gaps between them. This looks a lot better. Then there was the question of the wood texture. Mayas default 3d wood texture looks aweful no matter how much you play around with it, so I downloaded a better one from www.cgtextures.com. It is subtle and looks so much better.
Then I had to play with the gold texture a bit more, because in the current lighting for my scene it shows up a nasty brown colour. In playing with the abient colour and reflectivity, I inevitabley made it look brighter than the sun, but after further playing it looks ok.
I also took the reflectivity off of the tile material, so the porch roof isn't so shiny. I also had to use the automatic mapping function on the small steps, as the texture wasn't quite working.
Lastly, I switched the statues around so that they point towards the door rather than away from it. (It just makes more sense, and leads your eye into the door more.)
I'm pretty happy to call the door finished now.







No comments: